Sunday, September 7, 2014

Preparing For My Policy Brief

For my policy brief, I will be looking at voter disenfranchisement and the way in which it effects populations all over the country. The audience most directly effected is American citizens over the age of 18 however I would argue that policies made to address voter disenfranchisement will impact today's youth as well, as such policy would likely be in place for years to come.

This issue is important because it is one of our most basic rights and responsibilities as American citizens to be able to play a role in choosing our representation. In many areas, current policy disproportionately disenfranchises young people and minorities. For my policy brief, I will be looking at how state elections laws vary around the country and how they either work to reduce and eliminate voter disenfranchisement or work to exclude certain voter groups. My policy brief will conclude with a proposal for a more comprehensive federal elections law that does not allow for individual states to discriminate against any group or population.

No comments:

Post a Comment